Further Reading and References
Educator knowledge of foundational early reading skills and how children develop early reading
- American Federation of Teachers and Moats, L. (2020). Teaching Reading Is Rocket Science, 2020: What Expert Teachers of Reading Should Know and Be Able to Do.
- Armbruster, B. B., Lehr, F., & Osborn, J. (2003). Put reading first: The research building blocks for teaching children to read. Kindergarten through grade 3. (2nd ed.). Jessup, MD: ED Pubs.
- Ehri, L. C. (2014). Orthographic mapping in the acquisition of sight word reading, spelling memory, and vocabulary learning. Scientific Studies of Reading 18(1), 5-21.
- Kilpatrick, D. A. (2015). Essentials of Assessing, Preventing, and Overcoming Reading Difficulties. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
- National Reading Panel (US). (2000). Teaching Children To Read: An Evidence-Based Assessment of the Scientific Research Literature on Reading and Its Implications for Reading Instruction. United States: Public Health Service, & United States Department of Health, National Institute of Child Health, Human Development (US), National Reading Excellence Initiative, National Institute for Literacy (US).
- Ontario Human Rights Commission. (2022). Right to Read: Public inquiry into human rights issues affecting students with reading disabilities. Toronto: Author.
- Ontario Ministry of Education. (2003). Early Reading Strategy: The Report of the Expert Panel on Early Reading in Ontario. Toronto: Author.
- O’Sullivan, J., Canning, P., Siegel, L., & Olivieri, M. E. (2009). Key factors to support literacy success in school-aged populations: A literature review. Report prepared for the Council of Ministers of Education. Statistics Canada.
- Rose, J. (2006). “Independent review of the teaching of early reading.” United Kingdom: the Department for Education and Skills.
Instructional strategies for teaching foundational early reading skills
- Brady, S. (2020). A 2020 Perspective on Research Findings on Alphabetics (Phoneme Awareness and Phonics): Implications for Instruction (Expanded Version).
- Florida Center for Reading Research. (n.d.). FCRR Student Center Activities.
- Hawken, J. (2008). Foundations for literacy: An evidence based toolkit for the effective reading and writing teacher. Canadian Language & Literacy Research Network.
- Savage, R., Georgiou, G., Parrila, R., & Maiorino, K. (2018). Preventative reading interventions teaching direct mapping of graphemes in texts and set-for-variability aid at-risk learners. Scientific Studies of Reading, 22(3), 225-247.
- Schuele, M. & Boudreau, D. (2008). Phonological Awareness Intervention: Beyond the Basics. Language, speech, and hearing services in schools. 39. 3-20. 10.1044/0161-1461(2008/002).
Planning systematic and explicit instruction
- Ontario Ministry of Education. (2013). Learning for All, A Guide to Effective Assessment and Instruction for All Students, Kindergarten to Grade 12. Toronto: Author.
- Ontario Ministry of Education. (2016). The Kindergarten Program. Toronto: Author.